Monday, August 3, 2009

Revisiting September

It's time to revisit that September post I made on July 28. Here, again, are the start dates for five-day-a-week game shows in 2009.

September 7: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
Family Feud (apparently bringing back the Bullseye round)
Deal Or No Deal (now taped on the east coast)

September 14: Wheel Of Fortune
Jeopardy

September 21: Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? (long-awaited five-day-a-week version)
The Price Is Right

October 5: Let's Make A Deal

At long last, it's official. CBS's replacement for legendary soap opera Guiding Light, which ends on September 18 after seventy-two years, is an hour-long, five-day-a-week revival of Let's Make A Deal.

In my book, this is good news. I've always liked Let's Make A Deal, and I could care less about soap operas, even if my mother is talking about the cancellation of Guiding Light as if it were the flat-out end of an era (to be fair, I feel pretty much the same way about the uncertain future of Power Rangers.) A new network daytime game show is something that's been needed for a long time. Then comes the kicker. The new host of Let's Make A Deal is...Wayne Brady.

Why Wayne Brady? I didn't think his performance on Don't Forget The Lyrics was all that great. Of course, I know why CBS picked him: because (A) he's a friend of Drew Carey and (B) all new game shows are hosted by washed-up comedians these days. They all offer a $1,000,000 jackpot also...is that what we're getting? $1,000,000 Let's Make A Deal, hosted by Wayne Brady?

I guess we'll just have to watch on October 5 and see how Fremantle puts this together. Here's the real question: what on Earth will CBS show for two weeks between Guiding Light ending and Let's Make A Deal starting? You don't show reruns of soap operas.

Finally...what about No More Morphin Time? Part Two? How is the legacy of Power Rangers going to live on? I'll say this: if on Sunday, August 9, I still have not put up No More Morphin Time? Part Two, I will explain what it is and why I can't post it. Until then, you'll have to wait...as will I...

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment