Thursday, August 20, 2009

It Certainly Was Better Than The Rocky Horror Picture Show

I just got back from watching Rifftrax performing Plan Nine From Outer Space. They were in Nashville, but their performance was beamed live to movie theaters around the country. I seriously doubt the event was actually over when I walked out of the auditorium an hour ago; after Plan Nine From Outer Space ended, the cast took a bow, the live feed cut to an information slide, and everyone watching got up and left. For all I know, they could still be doing encores as I type this.

It wasn't perfect - musical guest Jonathan Coulton was entertaining but far from necessary, and yes, the live feed did break up a few times (thankfully, never for more than a few seconds) during the short (Flying Stewardess). For all the hype about her being host of the event, Veronica Belmont's job consisted of little more than reading a few prewritten statements introducing everyone; the "special segment by Rich 'Lowtax' Kyanka" turned out to be a pair of fake commercial breaks (one commercial each). Fortunately, everyone seemed to realize what the audience had come for; after being introduced, Jonathan Coulton said something like "talk about further ado." When the main feature finally did start, it was every bit as good as I had hoped. I mean, every bit as bad as I had hoped. You get the point.

When I bought my tickets, movietickets.com said the movie was two hours. When I left the auditorium, I had it clocked at an hour and forty-five minutes, but as I said, they could still be going. As I type this, I'm trying to access rifftrax.com, but the site appears to have gone down. I wonder why.

I'll post tonight's Millionaire results tomorrow, probably in the same post as my review of I Guess That's Why They Call It The News.

See you then,

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment