Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Yes, There Are Other Ones Besides Double Dare

The news just broke that on September 28, Nickelodeon will premiere a new kids game show called Brain Surge.

Now, I don't watch every new game show, but I probably will check this out, if only because I'll applaud any attempt at a new kids game show. That's what made me a game show fan, and there aren't any left. I credit Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? with being the show that hooked me on game shows for life, but that's probably only because I didn't have cable for several years. The undisputed master of the kids game show is Nickelodeon.

That being said, however, not all their game shows were winners - Nick Arcade, anyone? - and their most recent attempt, My Family's Got GUTS, didn't click with me. There were just two events before the AggroCrag, and the nice simple scoring system of the original series was replaced by something so complicated they actually had to flash on the screen "Go to nick.com for complete scoring information." The biggest gripe, however, went to Ben Lyons, whose monotone rambling would be bad enough on a game show for adults. His attempt at the show's signature signoff (all together now: "No if, ands, or buts...these kids got GUTS...DO...YOU...HAVE ITTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!") can only be compared to one thing: Drew Carey attempting to signoff on The Price Is Right. No, that's not a compliment.

New season starts Monday,

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment